A couple of months ago, Mystel made some cupcakes with Reece’s Pieces as centres, and that inspired me to try this, instead using a tin of mixed chocolates. With chocolate being available absolutely everywhere at this time of year, I thought I’d try doing something a little different with them. Modifying this recipe here http://www.thelondoner.me/2012/07/nutella-swirl-banana-muffins.html (not for the first time – I’ve previously attempted Banoffee and Vanilla Vodka cakes based on that, I might blog that one another time), this is the method I used. The ‘mystery’ part comes in not knowing which chocolate will be in the centre until you take a bite.
For the banana mix, much of it is identical to that recipe above (removing the Nutella section), but I used four bananas, made them more cupcake-sized, and adjusted the cooking time accordingly.
230 grams (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
150 grams (3/4 cup) granulated white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
113 grams (1/2 cup) melted unsalted butter
4 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A tin of mixed chocolates of your choice – I chose Celebrations.
Using these measurements, you’ll be able to make 26-28 cupcakes.
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 (180C or 350F). In one bowl combine your flour, sugar & salt. In another combine your eggs, butter, mashed bananas & vanilla. Tip one into the other and gently fold together, but don’t worry so much about making a smooth mix – it still needs to be lumpy.
Add a small amount of the mixture to each cake case, then place a chocolate on top, then add further mixture in to cover – make sure that each is covered properly, as it can lead to some mess come cooking time, as I admittedly discovered!
Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, though do check after 25 minutes, testing with a knife through the cake part (not the centre) to ensure it is cooked through. The knife should come out clean. Below are examples of how mine turned out – there were a few where the chocolate had come through to the top (being a first time experiment, I expected one or two slight errors) but overall I was pleased with how they turned out.
One or two messy ones – whoops! Still tasted great.
The final result!